Pulikachal

  1. Pulikachal

I know it's an awkward title. But I could not get a better description in English pulikachal, which would result in Tamil literally "tamarind (Puli) Boiling-up (Kachali)" - very descriptive, informative but not useful.

I do not pulikachal very often because there is always an impression on the back of my mind that it takes too long to do, and now I work full time, it does not seem to have enough free time to do all the things I want , much less spend a lot of time just cooking. But the impression is not entirely true, because when the masala is made for this kind pulikachal leaders themselves. He does not need to be taken care every minute.

Pulikachal best I've had as a trainee sub-editor at the Indian Express, my first job. My boss (and mentor), who was once beautiful gentleman called CP Seshadri, affectionately and universally known as "Maestro". It was a very good, a little history of life - a contemporary of Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru and other pillars of the Indian freedom movement ... and besides, who knew them personally.

Anyway, long story short, the Master was very kind and friendly, and a grandfather to my great esteem! When he discovered that no one had bothered to bring lunch from home but sometimes eat junk food in small shops outside the office doors, he urged me to share the hot food is to be delivered to your home waving aside my protests shame. (But the food ... oh the food - spoiled quickly took the back seat)

His wife (Ms. Master I) was very valuable, the woman tries to stern - but in reality, very friendly. Not to mention, SUPERB cooking. Everything he did was wonderful, but his Tamarind Rice was an out-of-this-world good. Iyengars have traditionally done better pulikachal and I must say that Mrs. Champion was living proof. I wish I was not interested enough to cook, then I ask him the recipe.

That said, however, I developed a pretty good recipe for pulikachal, which is based on - but, of course - my mother. My version has coconut in it (and yes, I do not understand that someone who does not like coconut a lot of things, it seems to me to use a lot of stuff!).

However, after trawling through the web a couple of years ago, I came across a comment in some food chat board said, the writer added toasted coconut and masala for pulikachal. When you think about - and a lot of hesitation - I decided to follow the tip. And what a surprise that the coconut adds texture, but not record the palate ... and you can not smell. Just the ticket.

No more talk now - this is my recipe!

Recipe: Pulikachal (spicy sauce / tamarind chutney to rice)

Ingredients:

C. 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (Tamicon) dissolved in 6 cups hot water

or

A lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked and pulp to make 6 cups of tamarind water

For Masala:

1 teaspoon oil

2 tablespoons coriander seeds

1 / 2 c. Chana dal soup

Mustard seeds 1 / 2 tablespoon

Cumin seeds 1 / 2 cup soup

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

1 tablespoon urad dal

C. 1 tablespoon black pepper

C. 1 peanut soup

Fenugreek seeds 1 / 2 cup Tea

8 dried red chillies

10-15 curry leaves

1 / 4 cup packaged shredded coconut

For tempering:

3 c. Tea Oil

2 c. teaspoon mustard seeds

2 dried red chillies, half broken

1 tsp urad dal

2 c. tsp Chana dal

4 tablespoons roasted peanuts

2 teaspoons sesame seeds

5-6 curry leaves

Method:

First roast masala all ingredients (except coconut) in a teaspoon of oil until the seeds pop and the Dals was a beautiful golden brown. Cool.

2. Toast the coconut in hand, often upside down, until golden brown. Allow it to cool as well.

3. In spice grinder or grind, grind the ingredients roasted masala and coconut to a smooth as possible. This may be easier to do a little 'at a time, as a result of the dough is very thick. Cup of water to dissolve the paste and set aside.

4. In large ship, but profound, heat 3 teaspoons of oil. Add a pinch of asafetida (optional), then temper all the ingredients and cover until the seeds finish popping up.

5. Pour in 6 cups of tamarind water and stir. Let the water begins to boil, then add ground masala paste, stir until well blended.

Let sixth heat the mixture of high and boil until reduced to a third party and begins to thicken. Add salt to taste now. (This reduction can easily take 20 minutes or more, depending on the depth and breadth of the pan. Basically, the bottom of the pan, the longest).

When seventh pulikachal is thick (consistency of honey, more or less) Turn off the heat. It will thicken more as it cools.

Pulikachal can make tamarind rice - about tablespoon mixed cup of cooked rice, but you can add more or less depending on taste. This recipe makes a very spicy pulikachal.
See Also, Benefits Food, Benefits Fruit, Benefits Salad ,Breakfast ,Cupcake, Dry Fruits,Food Pyramid, Fruit, Fruit Cake , Fruit Icecream , Fruit Juice, Fruit Salad ,Meat Recipes, Milk Benefit, Pizza , Sideaffact Fruit, Soup ,Vegetable Recipes ,Vegetable Salad,

0 comments:

Post a Comment